Thursday, March 6, 2014

Indoor Starter Greenhouse

We're getting ready for a busy spring. We got our vegetable garden started by planting some tomatoes, husk cherries, and peppers inside.

We're trying something a little different this year. We've made a mini greenhouse to put in our bay window.

We used a clear under the bed storage container to make our greenhouse.
We took toilet paper rolls and cut them in half and then filled them with potting soil. Then planted our seeds.




This should help cut down on watering and keep our plants warmer. We only set our heater for 60* and when we're home heat it the rest of the way with our wood burning stove.

We labeled the outside with what we've planted where and when with a dry erase marker.

We saved plenty of room for more. We've ordered some more seeds today, including more varieties of tomatoes. I would like to try growing some yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes, but we need to get those soon to get them started. I've also ordered some butternut squash and spaghetti squash. I'm going to be busy making lots of dishes with all of our produce to freeze and eat over winter.... that's the plan anyway!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page spray nozzles If you have any questions or if you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact us at anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'll check out your website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with the earth is so rewarding, especially at supper time! I've lost 24 lbs during the summer months working in the garden. I remember marking my plastic lids for my seed starts and I used a permanent marker so your idea is so much better! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete